Sunday, December 30, 2012

Akina Japanese Cuisine - The dark past unveiled


View Larger Map

Date visited: December 23, 2012

Time: 1:40 pm

Party Size: 4

Price: $5.99 before tax and tips

Type of restaurant: Japanese All You Can Eat (AYCE) or À la carte

Food consumed: 
- Deep fried pork cutlet bento served with miso soup, green salad, rice and maki
I wanted to eat Japanese curry but they did not have a bento box version. The waitress asked the manager if they could accommodate my wants, which they did. Kudos to the service.

Pictures of food consumed: (Click on images to enlarge)



Japanese curry was added to the meal. Bonus ingredient, no extra charge.

Review of Restaurant:
  • Why did I come to this restaurant?

My parents picked it despite my protest. I personally did not like this restaurant based on previous visits.

 

  • What did I think of the service?

As mentioned above, the waitress accommodated my wants. The rest of the experience was typical of a Chinese owned restaurant.

  • How did my sensitive stomach feel?

No stomach upset. No diarrhea. Yes, I can enjoy the Christmas holidays without spending unnecessary time in the washroom. That means no online boxing day with my tablet in the washroom.

October 5, 2011
Let's spend some time on October 5, 2011. There were 5 infractions that were not in compliance. Food not protected from potential contamination, equipment not maintained, food contact surfaces washed, walls are dirty and dim lighting. Combination of these 5 infractions is a recipe for food poisoning. Luckily, I did not visit the restaurant prior to October 5, 2011 or else this would have been the second restaurant closed down by my stomach.

October 7, 2011
They were able to clean up after 2 days. The October 7, 2012 inspection was a clean record.

March 30, 2012
Hand washing before and after food handling. This is basic sanitation. Even kids learn about this at school.

Second time for improper storage of clean utensils. First was on October 5, 2011.

VERDICT: BANNED. Unauthentic Japanese served by Chinese. Based on the inspection reports, I am banning this place. (The fact that they did not charge me for the Japanese curry does not sway my verdict. I am not easily persuaded.)

No comments:

Post a Comment