Sunday, January 12, 2014

Khao San Road - The Road to Glorious Thai Food



Date visited: December 17, 2013

Time: 1:30 pm

Party Size: 2

Website: http://www.khaosanroad.ca/

Food consumed:
- Garlic chicken (chicken, panko crust, garlic, fresh kaffir lime leaf, naam djeem dipping sauce) - $9.00
- Red curry (curry of the day) - $9.00

Pictures of food consumed: (Click on images to enlarge)



Review of Restaurant:
  • Why did I come to this restaurant?

It's hard to find a good and authentic Thai restaurant in Toronto. They either make the food sweeter or less spicy to accommodate the local taste. Khao San Road is one of the highest rated restaurant on Yelp in Toronto, therefore it is a must visit.

I still don't understand how people still eat at Thaï Express. I had it once and it was my last time. The pad thai was an insult to all Thais. I have never seen pad thai drenched in so much sauce and that sweet before. Please do yourself a favour and don't eat at Thaï Express, you are only supporting a Thai revolution.
  • What did I think of the food and service?

Signs of authenticity:
1. The servers are from Thailand. I caught their accent in their English and confirmed when I asked them. The waitress asked if she had a thick accent, I honestly told her "Yes" and that was a compliment because I want to dine at an authentic Thai restaurant.
2. Secondly, they can't spell their names correctly on the receipt.
3. They had boxes of 24 of Singhas lined up around the restaurant.
4. It ain't called Thaï Express, its name comes from a road in Bangkok, Thailand.
5. This is how you make curry, with coconut milk.
6. Garlic chicken was amazing too. Zesty lime taste.
  • How did my sensitive stomach feel?

I felt like I was back in Thailand. I remember eating the bowl of curry in some alleyway with cats and dogs walking around your leg. That is the true Thai experience.
Took this on one of my trips to Thailand

City of Toronto Inspection Report

Here are just the SIGNIFICANT AND CRUCIAL infractions:

February 27, 201PASS


1. Fail to store food on racks or shelves
2. Operator fail to ensure cover will prevent contamination or adulteration

May 31, 201PASS


1. Fail to provide soap or detergent in food preparation area
2. Fail to store food on racks or shelves
2. Fail to provide thermometer in storage compartment

October 30, 201PASS


1. Fail to provide valid food handler's certificate

February 27, 201PASS

1. Operator fail to ensure cover will prevent contamination or adulteration

May 7, 201PASS


1. Fail to provide towels in food preparation area

July 3, 201PASS


1. Fail to, upon request by any person, produce the food safety inspection report or reports relating to the currently posted food inspection notice for such establishment (This was not me, Dec 17, 2013 was my first visit)

November 21, 2013 - PASS

1. Operator fail to ensure cracked utensil not used in food handling

VERDICT: Welcome to Thailand!

No comments:

Post a Comment