Sunday, August 18, 2013

Magnum Ice Cream - Bullet to the Head



View Larger Map

Date visited: August 17, 2013

Time: 4:30 pm

Party Size: 7

Price: $6 including tax

Website: http://www.magnumicecream.ca/Home.aspx

Food consumed:
- Chocolate ice cream bar dipped in dark chocolate with all 21 ingredients - $6
Some of the ingredients include: bacon bits (can never go wrong with it), nerds, honeycomb, chocolate rice krispies, rose petals, chili, crushed popcorn, pistachios.

Pictures of food consumed: (Click on images to enlarge)


From a different angle

Review of Restaurant:
  • Why did I come to this restaurant?

After seeing all the hype all over Facebook, my friends decided to check out this pop-up store which is opened until August 30, 2013. The location used to be a FCUK store, but Magnum took over for a few months.

  • What did I think of the service?

We waited 1 hour to get our ice cream, we started the line-up at the edge of H&M, so there were like 20 people in front of us. The staff maintained the line and asked people to move closer to the store as to not impede pedestrian traffic. There is no pushing and shoving like they do in China.


  • How did my sensitive stomach feel?

My stomach felt woozy after all the sugar, spices and other mishmash of ingredients that went into my ice cream bar. Never ask for all 21 ingredients. I tried to maximize $/ice cream bar by loading as many ingredients as possible. The first bite was sweet, then spicy, spicy and lastly spicy. The chili overwhelmed all the other flavours.

City of Toronto Inspection Report

Magnum is opened/organized by Mosaic, some marketing company. As it opens from June 27 to Aug 30, 2013, I don't expect any inspection infractions.

The only thing that worried me was that the servers used their hands to mop the discarded ingredients on the counter to the floor. My server used her hands to mop it into the "drink mixer", which I initialled thought would be reused. However, I ordered lots of peanuts on my ice cream bar, therefore, I came to a conclusion that they wash the drink mixers after each use. If someone gets a peanut allergy from this, the company can be sued and it will leave a big legal mess in which the lawyers always win. It's all assumptions, what you don't see if what worries you the most.

About the title, magnum is a cartridge/round/shell. The ice cream bar reminds me of a cartridge. Come arrest me, I'm a psycho killer. Anyway, this also reminded me of the movie Bullet to the Head, starring Silvester Stallone.

The plot is predictable, full of lame one-liners, bad acting, cheesy fight sequences, macho men fighting, just like the ice cream bar. You can buy this at the grocery store, for a fraction of the price; it's gimmicky, buy the ingredients yourself, it's cheaper; big company opening a pop-up store. Your time in action movie is done. I thought this was a comedy movie. I was laughing my head off with my sister.

My review score of the ice cream store is the same as the movie. A 5.7 of out 10.

VERDICT: Save the bullet. You're just shooting yourself in the foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment