Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Bánh Mì Boys - Om Nom Nom Nom



View Larger Map

Date visited: September 13, 2013

Time: 12:00 pm

Party Size: 2

Website: http://www.banhmiboys.com/

Food consumed:
- Five Spice Pork Belly Bánh Mì - $5.99
- Kimchi Fries - $5.99

Pictures of food consumed: (Click on images to enlarge)



Review of Restaurant:
  • Why did I come to this restaurant?

Featured on You Gotta Eat Here!, so I gotta eat here.

Actually, I found this link on the Banh Mi Boys' website while writing this blog entry. My friend brought me here and I did not regret coming here.
  • What did I think of the food and service?

Owned by Asians but served by Caucasians. This elevated the service level from below industry to average industry level.


Why did they mentioned "Asian bbq sauce" as an ingredient if it is just Hoisin sauce. I had no idea what jicama was. They should call it Mexican yam instead. I even had to Google what bánh mì was, why don't they call the restaurant Vietnamese Bun Boys. Asians...

The food was too yummy. This Heavy from Team Fortress 2 will demonstrate my reaction.


  • How did my sensitive stomach feel?

Nom nom nom nom nom nom


City of Toronto Inspection Report

Here are just the SIGNIFICANT AND CRUCIAL infractions:

June 28, 201PASS

October 15, 2013 - PASS

I think by being an Asian fusion restaurant, you understand the concept of food safety.

VERDICT: Om Nom Nom Nom


Second Documented Trip


Date visited: November 28, 2013

Time: 1:30 pm

Party Size: 2

Food consumed:
- Kalbi Beef Bánh Mì - $5.99
- Pulled Pork Taco - $3.99
- Kimchi Fries - $5.99 (paid for by the boss)

Pictures of food consumed: (Click on images to enlarge)




City of Toronto Inspection Report

No updated report since my last visit

VERDICT: Om Nom Nom Nom x 2. No food poisoning experience. Pork belly is better than Kalbi beef.


Third Documented Trip


Date visited: April 11, 2014

Time: 12:00 pm

Party Size: 5

Food consumed:
- Kalbi Beef Taco - $3.99
- Pulled Pork Taco - $3.99
- Grilled Chicken Taco - $3.99
- Braised Beef - $3.99
- Squid Taco - $3.99
- Tofu Taco - $3.99

Price: $27.06 after taxes

Pictures of food consumed: (Click on images to enlarge):

The Six Amigos Challenge:

The Unexpected Journey
Life is dull sometimes and you need to add a spin to it once in a while. I decided to try all five tacos found on the website.


Challenges are fun, why else would people create a meme over this?

The surprise
The cashier greeted me. I placed my order for all five tacos as stated on the menu. She went through the list of tacos on her register and came up with six tacos. Surely, she made a mistake or created a sixth taco just to charge me more. I shrugged and got all six as I like surprises too. Braised beef was the secret taco. I placed my order under my alias, Batman. The bill came down to $27.06.


The Challenge

I chowed down the kalbi beef and pulled pork tacos and they were the best tacos ever, like ever. Soft tender pork with a bit of spice. Next up was the squid, who ever came up with this taco? It's the worst idea ever. It was very bland and didn't go well with the carrot and taco. The tofu was even worst. Tofu should never be made into a taco. At this point, my appetite was satisfied. A fifth one couldn't hurt, could it?

The grilled chicken was delicious and I took my sweet time eating this taco as I was pretty full by this time. It probably took me 20 mins to eat it. Now down to the sixth and last one. This heavy hitter, the braised beef took me 30 mins to devour. I mentally prepared for five, not six. I was about to die after the last taco. This curve ball was my death wish.

For the entire afternoon, my productivity level dipped to below zero. I took a walk to McDonald's to alleviate the pain in my stomach and for their $1 iced coffee. The uninformed cashier did not make things better for me. She charged me $1.46 for a medium iced coffee. When I grabbed it, it was a small. I asked if this was the correct price and size, she said it's small. I looked up at the screen and pointed to her that it's $1 for medium iced coffee.

The cashier turned to her manager who informed her that McDonald's was having this promotion. She seemed very surprised. The refund was processed and she charged me the correct amount. Second mistake of her day: I would offer the iced coffee for free since I screwed up the order and it doesn't cost the company much. People lack customer service and going up and beyond their call sometimes. She was young so I'll give it to her lack of experience and care for the world.

She asked if we wanted the small iced coffee since they were going to throw them out. I took them since I don't like to waste food. I was handed my medium iced coffee and went on merry way back to the office.

Throughout the evening, I couldn't talk about more food or eat more food.

Here's a lesson for you kids, if you like a challenge, try the Six Amigos (I'll take credit for coining this term) at Bánh Mì Boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment